Saturday, November 10, 2012

She's "tetched" by the Holy Spirit. I swear she's an Earth Angel.

I always tend to be a day behind in my blog endeavors. Oh well. For my ninth day of thankfulness, I'd like to thank The Lord for a very special lady. Mrs Jean Bolin.

Just a bit of background about her: she's awesome. Mrs. Jean worked with my grandmother for years and I've known her since I was wee little. She moved here with her husband and children from Ohio a long time ago and has since made her home Tuscaloosa.

Now, to tell my story I first need to tell you about my sassy grandmother. That was one lady that was "spit-fire" as they say. She raised three kids right by herself and worked her fanny off to make sure they grew up with the things they needed. She was one of the sweetest ladies you would ever meet but she sure wasn't inclined to go out of her way for you if she didn't like you. It's just how she was. When Mrs. Jean and my grandmother first met at work, my grandmother set the tone real quick that she "wasn't-a-gonna-have-no" new girl taking her place. Mrs. Jean isn't the tallest of people, so when she and grandmother met my grandmother looked at her with a straight face and said, "Built a little close to the ground, now ain't ya?" Mrs. Jean thought to herself, "Lord have mercy what have I gotten myself into?" That little encounter pretty much set the tone for their friendship. My favorite thing about Jean Bolin is that she is as sweet as sweet water taffy, & also just as tough. She's one to tell you exactly how she feels about something, and it always starts with a pointed finger and ... "Now, let me tell ya."

We pretty well got each other through one of the hardest things I've ever been through, and she doesn't know it but I'm convinced that the Lord put her in my life at the time that He did for a very special purpose. One Thursday afternoon as she was visiting my grandmother something scary happened. All of a sudden my grandmother lost the use of the right side of her body. Having worked in the medical field for a very long time, Mrs. Jean knew immediately that it was a stroke and called 911. My grandmother was in the hospital for a very long time and then went from rehab to rehab for weeks. Mrs Jean's devotion to her friend never wavered. She was there nearly every day to help her and keep her company while the other family members worked and went to school. A funny thing happened throughout those weeks in rehab. My grandmother, never one to really laugh a whole lot and cut up with you, became the jolliest of souls. Those were the last weeks we would spend with her, and boy did The Lord make sure they were some of the best. We laughed, we cried, we kept grandmother from throwing pillows at the nurses, but through it all we gained a bond that would build a friendship that I will never ever duplicate.

Mrs. Jean, you are one of the most special people in my life. Thank you for opening your home to me. Thank you for making me feel like I had a home when a lot of times I didn't feel like I did in Tuscaloosa. You truly answered a call from God through all you have done for me and for my family. There is a very special place in heaven for you. I love you and I miss you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment