Wednesday, November 12, 2014

#30DaysOfThanks Day 12: Impromptu Sushi & The Importance of Life

So today, November 12th, has rocked me. I don't really know how I'm going to put it into words. But here goes ...

I haven't talked to her REALLY since we danced our little fannies off at the Florida Georgia Line concert in June in Montgomery, AL where Nelly headlined. IT WAS A BIG DEAL AND I LOVED IT. She's my cousin, but more than that she's my friend. We've had a bond really since we were little. I can remember my aunt Karen telling me, "Ryn! Hannah LOVES you!" What a smile that painted on my heart. This precious baby who had no idea who I was, would place such hope and love in me ... when all she knew about me was what her little spirit could tell from my smile and my spirit. I've loved her since then. She's grown into this woman who is brilliant beyond any words I could ever put in sequence. She's beautiful. She's free. In every way. She's free with her love. She's free with her acceptance. She's free with her contagious laugh. But most of all, she's free with her encouragement and that made all the difference today.

I text Hannah this morning because I missed her and I really wanted her to join me this weekend to root on our beautiful Auburn tigers. She had other plans for the weekend, but she also had other plans for our conversation. "I read your blog when I get a chance and I really enjoy it." Blew me away. I have terrible grammar and I use commas all sorts of places where I am not supposed to and I'm sure she could pick it apart with a fine toothed comb because she's just that smart, but instead she spoke life into something I struggle with. I love this blog and I know the purpose of it and my inspiration will continue to be my precious readers, but it's hard to tell when it's really being impactful ... or when it's just me rambling on about my day that no one really cares to hear about. I thanked her profusely for her kind words and her response was this, "I really do think it's awesome! Someone needs to do it and I think that you're the perfect person for it because you're very open with your faith but it's not too pushy or radical so I think people could really be affected." I went on to tell that her my mission for the blog was exactly that. See, I need people to meet me where I am in life. Jesus does that. He does it everyday. It means I'm valuable to Him. He does it for everyone ... we are all valuable ... and above all else, I want to show the world that it doesn't matter where you've been in this life, your value has never changed and will never change. When we understand that without a shadow of a doubt and we accept what He's done, it changes us ... fundamentally.

"I'm stalking it as we speak. I love your rhetoric. It's very relateable because it's exactly how you would speak to someone but it still sounds intelligent. Ugh, I'm obsessed with you," she said. To which I responded, "I'm obsessed with you because you use words like 'rhetoric.'" We shared a laugh session and commenced to planning our holiday get-together. Afterwards, I reached out to one of my favorite aunts. I'm a firm believer that there isn't a soul on earth that has cooler aunts than me. You can't fight me on it. I will win the battle. That goes for Beverly, Julie, Josephine, Roberta, Maude, and of course, Karen. They are each uniquely their own and are all vastly different. Aunt Karen and I had a wonderful conversation and I left feeling rejuvenated. Rejuvenated because she loved me. I mean really loved me. How many times during the day do we spend time talking with people who only care about us a little bit and leave out the ones that love us fiercely? It's often. In these moments this morning, I felt like a part of something big. I felt my family surround me and lift me up and it was beautiful.

I realized today that I'm terrible at keeping in touch with people. I miss my family fiercely, but don't put forth enough effort to stay in touch with them. I'm sorry, family. That will change.

I spent a few hours this afternoon in a Haleyville office where I have gained friends that are just really the best. They always encourage me in my blog efforts and embrace my presence even though they are more busy than I could ever imagine. I love them. I left their office to go hop into one more precious office before I left Haleyville. That's when I saw her. This angel girl who I met in my very first visit to Haleyville. Jodi Trulove doesn't know it, but she was the reason I felt comforted in a foreign environment that day. It was actually my first day in the field with my new job, and this beautiful, blonde-haired, chevron shirt wearing ANGEL of a woman shared her sincere smile with me and was so kind. I felt at ease. She was sent there to comfort me in a place that I felt so new and alone. She was my angel that day, and she was my angel today. She greeted me with a smile when I walked in and proceeded to encourage me in my blog efforts and tell me what a blessing it is for her to read. I left that office with a feeling rushing over me that the Lord has been so present all day. Through every person I spoke with today, He spoke so clearly.

My precious Kristy Nichols that I wrote about recently called me tonight to discuss a tragedy that had happened in her life and all of the things surrounding it. We worked through it together and I hope that I said things she needed to hear. In true Kristy form, caring about the ones nearest to her, before we hung up she said "I just wanted to call and tell you I love you and you mean so much to me." There are tears on my cheeks now just thinking about her selflessness. Here she is, dealing with tragedy, and all she wanted to do was to call her friend that lives two states away and tell her how much she loved and valued her. This girl, you guys. I can't say words that explain her. But I am writing in to BRAVO to let them know that she and her husband need to star in their own reality TV show and it needs to be called "Nichols and his Dime." You'll fall in love with her, too, no doubt.

I was at a stoplight waiting to turn on to the interstate when I got a text from Shondell. I met this girl my first day at church in my new town. She intrigued me. She was strong and peaceful. Her resolve was unlike anything I had really ever seen. She was immensely protective of those near her and her focus was relentless. I liked her but I was afraid of her. Over time, Shondell and I became friends. We ate sushi tonight and talked through life things. It's moments like these, when our purpose is to help people see things through outside eyes instead of the rose colored glasses that they're wearing, that God speaks through us and to us at the same time. There are things I said to Shondell tonight that I needed to hear myself. Revealing conversations. They're the best.

Today was so full of blessings that I can't really name them all but I wanted to mention these people and their importance in my life today. Another blessing that was sent my way today were the two sweet dogs I rescued from a random Haleville parking lot. It was on the ten minute drive to the vet that I realized their significance in my day ... not just my significance in theirs. They were there today to remind me that life is fragile and we really need to love on our people. Help where you're asked to help ... serve we're you're asked to serve. Don't turn your nose up at those in need of help, because without you they may never reach their place of refuge.

Enourage the hearts of others. It doesn't have ot be over the top or something you aren't comfortable doing, but encouragement is so needed and most of the time COMPLETELY unexpected. There's a ray of sunshine in you that the world needs to see. Let it shine!

0 comments:

Post a Comment